Wednesday 9 November 2011

Higher Studies after Hotel Management Graduation


I have been interacting with thousands of Hotel Management Graduate students over the last 16 years. Many students seek my help and advice to plan for their careers. Most of them want to study further and few want to work in Hotels  or join their family business. When it comes to work, majority  of them want to join the reputed Hotel brands only as Management Trainees or Executive Trainees .If they are not successful, then they  opt for higher studies or alternative careers.
When it comes to studying further, many are confused as to which course to choose. Most students think that higher education is a shortest route to a Managerial position in a Hotel. In reality, it is not so. I always tell them that work experience matters. However, many choose for studying further. Most students opt for studying Masters in Hospitality Management, Masters in Tourism or MBA in Hotel Management in India or abroad.
The placement prospects are limited for such courses .Hotels look for people with operational experience having the right skill sets. Just by having MBA in Hotel Management, Hotels cannot employ directly into the managerial position. So the question is which course they need to pursue.
 In my personal opinion the ideal course for a Hotel Management Graduate will be a General  full time MBA specialization in either Marketing, Finance, Systems  or Human Resources. I have come across many of my students who have done General MBA and have been successful in their careers. General MBA opens up opportunity in all sectors of business. With a background of Hotel Management  ,it is easy to secure placements in the services sector. However, it is mandatory for students to  appear for MBA entrance examination like the CAT,MAT etc. Securing good score in these entrance examinations will help in securing admission in a reputed business school.

 The decision of studying further should be taken during the second year of the course ideally after the Industrial Exposure Training. Once decided, prepare well for the entrance examination. There are many MBA entrance examination coaching institutes that train students .The focus should be to secure admission in a reputed business school which offers quality placements.

Being Hospitality Educator, I still encourage students to work in Hotels after Graduation. If higher education is a priority, then choose a course that can offer a long term career.

21 comments:

  1. Get hospitality management services and follow our quality practices that exceed your expectations

    ReplyDelete
  2. presently i am dng my bhm and i did my internship in jumeirah beach hotel,and bythis year i will finish my bhm course i want to study further in hospitality department,i am intrested in fronrt office department,can u suggest me the colleges,that in india and abroad..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey this information is actually very useful and really helped me a lot as I was also confused which course to pursue after graduation in hotel management
    Coaching Institutes in Lucknow

    ReplyDelete
  4. I AM ALSO CONFUSED..ANYBDY SUGST ME..WHAT CAN WE DO AFTER HOTEL MANGMNT COURSE..

    ReplyDelete
  5. i am confused whether to study bhm or bsc hotel management can u tell me

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am confused with what mba should i go for? Mba in hr or mba in marketing. Please help me out. I m a graduate in bsc in h&ha

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am confused with what mba should i go for? Mba in hr or mba in marketing. Please help me out. I m a graduate in bsc in h&ha

    ReplyDelete
  8. A valuable blog post! I am doing my Hotel Management Graduation at the ITM Institute and am bit confused about what to do after the course. The blog is an eye-opener to any prospective graduate of hotel management course. I would like to go for an executive MBA program with specialization in human resources. Thanks a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the valuable information and insights you have so provided here.
    انجام پایان نامه کارشناسی ارشد

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sir I am in 3rd year ba in hospitality and tourism management and I don't think I will fit in hospitality industry so can I do MBA after my final year and choose another stream?

    ReplyDelete
  11. sir if some student completes BHM and he is eligible to take mba finance or marketing other than MHM.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great Article… I love to read your articles because your writing style is too good, its is very very helpful for all of us and I never get bored while reading your article because, they are becomes a more and more interesting from the starting lines until the end.
    CAT training centre in chennai

    ReplyDelete
  13. The post is useful and it would really help for those who search for Best college for mba in bangalore | MBA bangalore

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for guide us such beautifully

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am a management trainee (voyager) in jw Marriott .
    After completion of 1.5 year program I want to study further, if some one could help me what should I do ?

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am really happy that I stumble on this article. …really a good blogging, and keep up the good work. This gives an elaborate idea on what is after a degree in hospitality management? This would help many people in the industry to get a prospective career. Visit: https://www.itm.edu/

    ReplyDelete
  17. Give some idea for my higher study i completed bsc hospitality and hotel management i m not interest to do MBA next option give some idea

    ReplyDelete
  18. Give some idea for my higher study i completed bsc hospitality and hotel management i m not interest to do MBA next option give some idea

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you for sharing this information, Its has help me to know more about Study Loan

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great post. It’s a fact that your blog posts are so unique and interesting.
    List Of Hotel Supplies
    Hotel Supply Company

    ReplyDelete